msar-riders - [MSAR] Search Dogs & Horses

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "The Hitchn Post" <hitchnup@msn.com>
  • To: "msar-riders" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Search Dogs & Horses
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:06:12 -0700

Sherry Hicks asked if you can use search dogs while mounted: Absolutely!!
Fifteen years ago when I train my first dog for SAR work there was no k-9
search & rescue in my area so I had to train from books and there was only 1
or 2 available at that time. I was already an experience dog trainer in
obedience and bird hunting so this was learning a new technique. We did not
have a mounted unit here at the time either so I was treading new grounds, my
dream was to be able to be on horse back and my dog working in front of me.
There was no one out there to tell me this couldn't be done, so I did it, my
dog was awesome. Now fifteen years later I am Commander of our Mounted Unit
and I also train with Zion K-9 SAR my current dog Gunner doesn't have as good
a drive as Botchy did he will work out in front of my horse but gets nerves
with a group and if any of the horse's act up then he just wants to fall back
and stay behind. I am getting a new pup from Maine next month, I fill this
pup will have the drive and courage needed to work with my mounted group.
K-9 training as in horse training you have to do all your ground work first,
a well trained and seasoned dog requires very little directions or commands
so he should work for you weather on foot or horseback.
I also have sent away for the Air-scenting horse training book by Terry
Nowacki. I fill that we humans are barely tapping in to what these animals
are capable of doing.

Thanks,
Pam Williams
Iron County MSAR