msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] SOP's for SAR's within Sheriff Dept.

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Cathy <bmr@calinet.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] SOP's for SAR's within Sheriff Dept.
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 07:18:33 -0800

Irv,

I totally believe the point you are making. My unit has been performing SAR functions for years with no training required. Supposedly you needed CPR and 1st aid but that hasn't been checked in the 2 years I have attended meetings. Pretty much all you have to do to be able to Search is become a member and pass a mounted prof. test. No tracking, no clue awareness, nothing.

So, I believe we need a whole complement of training and am receiving some resistance. Admin is beginning to step in and encourage more focus on SAR, but I am having to be careful not to push too hard all at once.

Anyways, I did already get your CD (or was it from someone else on this list?) and was just asking if anyone had anymore that I could research.

I have gone thru the MSAR riders archives and bopped around the ASTM site. Our groundpounder team has great organization and I am trying to get some info from them to work from.

"I am presuming your sheriff has an incident command structure in place,
mutual aid or volunteer MOU's, and outside resource lists. Learning how to
search is very much like learning how to hunt. You need outdoor skills to
survive, knowledge of your subject(s) behavior patterns, the capabilities of
your personnel and others on the job, and experience beyond getting your
ticket punched."

Absolutely, and this is exactly my point to my unit. We don't currently have training and I want some guidelines in place so that members will get the training that we need to perform well in the field.

And as you probably have figured out by reading my posts, my writing skills are not up to par with what would be needed to write the SOP/SOG. I will be getting help on that score.

Thank you all for your input.
Cathy