msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] SOP's for SAR's within Sheriff Dept.

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] SOP's for SAR's within Sheriff Dept.
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 00:38:49 -0500

Before you write SOG's on search and training for search I believe you
should read the background material in the MSAR-ASTM archives, and both the
ASTM F2209 standard and the NASAR skill tests. Writing a how to do it manual
for search is a very complex task and you should be focused when you do it.
I think you will find existing texts on search management useful.
If you cannot gain access to the ASTM archives I can send you the material
(about 20 MB) on a CD.
I am presuming your sheriff has an incident command structure in place,
mutual aid or volunteer MOU's, and outside resource lists. Learning how to
search is very much like learning how to hunt. You need outdoor skills to
survive, knowledge of your subject(s) behavior patterns, the capabilities of
your personnel and others on the job, and experience beyond getting your
ticket punched.