msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] SOP's for SAR's within Sheriff Dept.

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Cathy <bmr@calinet.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] SOP's for SAR's within Sheriff Dept.
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 19:51:04 -0800

Una,

I understand the differences between SOP's and SOG's. Which we use will be the decision of our Sheriff dept. I am using the term loosely.

As far as what am I looking for: not totally sure. I am a new member to a unit that does MSAR along with ceremonial and patrol. We do have bylaws, and a ops manual that is not complete. Missing are the SOP's for SAR, Patrol and Ceremonial. We have uniform guidelines and a Mounted Prof. test and other such stuff. But no basic training required to go out on a search, no specific function for any of our members within the SAR event. Such as what responsibilities does the SAR team leader have? Please note that we have a fairly small unit right now, only 13 members. Used to have 25-30 but many have left. I would like to see our unit become more focused and trained so that when we are called out we know what we should be doing.

Re: when and how to establish a search, that would be up to our S.D. They would call us if they need us.

Thanks for all of your help.
Cathy

At 05:31 PM 2/14/2006 -0700, you wrote:
Cathy Blaser wrote:
>My unit is needing to create a SOP for our SAR team.

The first question is do you really want SOPs, or do you want SOGs?

As Irv Lichtenstein mentioned already, standard operating guidelines
are for management of the organization, not management of the search
function. The distinction blurs for, eg, "overhead" issues such as
when and how to establish a search mission.

Cathy, what exactly do you need? SOGs for field teams? What kind
of field teams, doing what kinds of SAR tasks? SOGs for callout
procedures? SOGs for deciding who is eligible for callout? SOGs
for radio communications? SOGs for use of personal equipment? Or
SOGs for management of the organization?