msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Hobbles

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Hobbles
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 09:45:46 -0800

For MSAR, I find the
handiest thing is when I need to tie off to a tree, the hobbles will keep
my horses from pawing and damaging the ground around the tree.

I hadn't thought of this but what a good idea. Not only are restrictions becoming tougher about being in wilderness areas but keeping a horse from being too 'fidgety' while tree tied is also safer - especially if there are multiple horses tied to one tree OR low lying branches. Mine aren't hobble trained yet but they are rope trained. I'll have to work on hobbles now.

I went out, saw he was caught in the wire, went
back to the barn for the cutters, went back out, cut him out of the
wire....he stood there the whole time until I pulled all the wire away
and then he moved to follow me to the barn.

This is the main reason mine are rope trained. To avoid injury in sticky situations. Good points in your post Mary!

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR