msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Hobbles

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Hobbles
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:09:17 -0800

I too
use a longer than average lead, but I no longer let the horse wear
it while riding. Instead, I tie the lead onto the saddle with a
saddle string, or stuff it in a saddle bag. Cross-country (meaning
off trail) riding presents too many opportunities for the horse to
step into or over any rope looped on its neck, or for the rope to
snag on tree branches, deadfall, etc.

Yes, I agree. I always put my long lead in the saddle bag or tied to the saddle. It's just safer in our heavily wooded mountainous areas.

For the same reason I don't
ride with a rein that is stitched closed; a split rein is safer
in this respect, but I prefer to compromize and use an extra long
rein (the long length is important for MSAR) that has a buckle in
the middle and a spring clip on at least one end. (Some MSAR unit
guidelines do not allow clips on the reins.)

Una Smith

I started riding with 'roping' reins- braided cotton with quick snaps on both sides. They will break if enough pressure is put on them in an emergency but won't break with moderate pressure, and when I easily unsnap one side I have a decent quick lead for foot work. I don't use a shanked curb so the bit is a not a big issue- plus my horses have all been taught this way and don't object to it. This way I can concentrate on the ground and not worry about the 'other' rein. Personal preference I guess. We all find what works best for us in our areas with our own mounts.

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR