msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Hard hats / Helmets

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: John Wilkins <wilkey34@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Hard hats / Helmets
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 00:49:58 -0800 (PST)

On this subject of helmets up until recently I was
one that said helmet I don't need no stinking helmet
until a friend of mine that has been riding for almost
50 years got thrown from her horse and landed on her
head causing a laceration from 1 in. above her eyes
(in the center of her forehead) straight all the way
over to her neck and after a $17,000 flight on flight
for life 180 stitches from a plastic surgeon and 3
days in the hospital and a total bill of $286,000 I
now wear a $75.00 helmet and she was lucky it happened
at home and not out on the trail. A helmet could be
the difference between being the rescuer or needing to
be rescued!

Just a thought maybe its time to mandate that every
member wears a helmet or do the team leaders wait
until something happens to someone somewhere before
they do.

John Wilkins