msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Hard hats / Helmets

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "philip easley" <easleyranch@foothill.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Hard hats / Helmets
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 23:40:36 -0800

I have yet to see a helmet western hat combo that looks good. I am a
traditional cowboy in many ways and have had at least two concussions to
prove it. 120 years ago, cowboys and wranglers wore chaps, gloves, boots
with riding heels, leggings, leather cuffs, and even a wide brim hat. All
of those items are safety equipment (the hat for protection from sun and
weather as well as a small cushion when hitting the ground). If they had
helmets back then, they would have worn them. I now wear a Troxel helmet
when riding colts. All the neighbor ladies have told me they want their
husbands to see me in the helmet so they might do the same. Your head is
fragile and you need to protect it.
Philip Easley
Nevada County Sheriff's Search and Rescue Inc....
Nevada City, Ca.