msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR: Basic Options

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR: Basic Options
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 01:19:01 -0800

From: "Chuck Daniel" <iwhound@voyager.net>
Jorene, In June 2004 you published an article in the NASAR web with
subject title. I would like your permission to use the majority of the
article for the purpose of submitting evidence to our local EMA & sheriff
department in obtaining a letter of mutual aid. This article, will be one
of several documents and a cover letter requesting a mutual aid agreement.
If you have any other suggestions or articles, please let me know.

Chuck, you're referring to an article of mine published in the SAR Professional insert of Advanced Rescue Technology, Mounted SAR: Basic Options. A copy of that article is on the NASAR web site. You - and others - are welcome to use that article as a reference or even hand a copy to management.

Most of what I write and teach at conferences and workshops around the country is intended primarily to educate management, and hopefully suggest some different opportunities for MSAR teams to explore to expand their versatility.

A key issue for MSAR is to be communicating well with management so you share the same expectations. The Mounted SAR: Basic Options article can be used as a discussion starting point for why and how MSAR can be advantageous as a new resource, or to identify and pursue various additional MSAR
capabilities suitable for an existing team's extended operational area.

Other articles of mine specific to MSAR include:
Mounted SAR: Learning from History
Mounted SAR: A Viable Winter Resource
Mounted SAR: The Next Generation (in final edit)

You can find PDF copies on www.CEOates.com/msar

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team