msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Research for MSAR in TN

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Research for MSAR in TN
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 23:40:16 -0500

Having major cities within 90 minutes can be in your favor. It is easier to
fund and support one regional resource than several local resources and the
mission count might be significantly higher that way.
I proposed a 90 minute travel from the barn based on SE PA distances and
roads. It can take over an hour to go from one end of Montgomery County to
the other without a trailer on a 2 lane state route. Alternatively, off
hours on the Turnpike you can cross half the state's population in 90
minutes, and in rush hour it may 90 minutes just to get of at some
interchanges. And going into the city of Philadelphia may mean hours to go a
few city blocks downtown. We also looked at where other resources are-- to
the west, to the north, to the south and where we would probably meet if we
both left at the same time.

There are some guidelines from the National Fire Academy and FEMA for doing
risk assessments that are easy to follow. You never know until you do the
research.