msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR "equipment" costs

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Raskin, Larry" <Lawrence.Raskin@jhuapl.edu>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR "equipment" costs
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:50:55 -0500

Hi All,

Figured I would chime in. This is a long post, sorry for the bandwidth.

I will list expenses in 2005 dollars for someone getting into this game.
Many of my purchases were made over the last 25 years so I don't think
it would be fair to list the prices I paid in 1980. This does not
include the cost for you personal SAR gear (24Hr or 72Hr pack)

To get into the game:
$ 500.00 - $ 5,000.00 - Purchase horse, I ride a registered quarter but
I got him from a friend at a good price ($900.00).
$2,000.00 - $40,000.00 - Purchase Truck, depending on your mechanical
ability and tastes.=20
I drive a older F-250 with the diesel but I am
sure others have different preferences
$ 500.00 - $25,000.00 - Purchase trailer, again depending on your
mechanical ability and tastes. I have a '76 two
horse tag-a-long (which I rebuilt) and a '78 6
horse head-to-head gooseneck w/dressing room (which=20
is ready to be rebuilt). Each has advantages
and disadvantages.
$ 250.00 - $ 3,000.00 - Saddle and tack. See discussion below.
______________________
$3,250.00 - $73,000.00 - Just to play

Recurring expenses
$ 0.00 - $ 7,200.00 - yearly board, I included board expenses into my
mortgage so my mount lives with me.
$ 0.00 - $ 650.00 - Farrier expense (shoe or trim every six weeks
at $75.00 per horse). See discussion below.
$ 150.00 - $??,???.?? - VET - depends on how much you are willing to do
yourself. See discussion below.
$ 300.00 - $??,???.?? - Feed -depends on your area, if you can grow and
cut your own. See discussion below.
______________________
$ 450.00 - ??,????.??

Tack:
I would refer here to the MSAR ASTM for the discussion about tack
requirements. I ride a 1904 McClellan military saddle (complete with
breast strap and crupper) with a set of fenders modeled after the 1859
pattern McClellan. I like this because the saddle tree is very light
and you can pack a lot of gear onto the saddle. I use a set of
oversized canvas saddle bags and a endurance riders pommel bags up
front. Normally ride in a model 1864 5 buckle bridle with 1859 halter.
I have a bright orange halter and just purchased a orange halter bridle
combination. Bit is a western curb. When I have to pull something, I
simply tie off through the cantle and pull. It is very nice not having
the rope running over or under my leg as you would if you tie off
(dally) to a horn.

I am considering going to a model 1904 McClellan Artillery Saddle to get
the added harness fittings. Combine this with a light driving breast
harness (collar harness being too heavy and clumsy for SAR work, all of
my horses drive) and I could use the horse to pull with/out any strain
on the saddle. Simply attach a carabineer to the tugs on the breast
harness. Thoughts or comments?=20

Farrier:
I recommend anyone going into the woods at least take a farrier class so
you can pull shoes and file. A horse can go bare hoof. If you bend a
shoe, you need to know how to remove the pair (front or rear). I only
shoe on the front in the summer. No shoes in winter. Carry a file and
nippers. I have my own set of farrier tools but I still get Norm out to
set shoes (just don't want to put a nail in the wrong spot). Shoes run
$1.00 per shoe, shoe/trim on a 6 to 8 week cycle.

Vet: Here taking classes is VERY IMPORTANT. There are lots of nasty
objects in the woods. You should know how to doctor your mount. I
order all my own meds. This is where a good relationship with your vet
is important. Some of the drugs require a prescription. Coggin's tests
must be drawn by a vet (at least in Maryland). All other shots I give
myself. I carry a vet first aid box with meds any time we leave home
with animals. I suggest you check with your vet as to what you should
have for your specific area. One of these days some smart Law
Enforcement type is going to site me with carrying "Drug Paraphernalia".

Feed:
If you can grow it and harvest it you have more time than I do.
Referencing 2005 prices in Maryland:

Hay, assuming 1/2 bale per head and 180 days feeding hay, you do the
math:
Orchard/clover mix @ $3.00 per drop bale (a drop baler vs. a kick
baler), 1st cutting Timothy @ $4.00 a bale. I have seen it go at the hay
auction for as little as $1.50 and as much as $5.00 a bale depending on
quality and time of year.

Grain, this depends a lot on the type of horse and how you are using it.
I have boarded horses which required from 1 pound a day to 10 pounds a
day. I use the Farmers Cooperative for my feed for custom mixes and
regular feed. They are less expensive then Southern States, Tractor
Supply Company or Agway including delivery. Don't know what the horse
tack shops get for feed. Fed varies but runs about $8.00 to $14.00 per
50lbs bag I think (purchase by the ton is cheaper)

Supplements - This is really dependant on the horse and how you use it.
No even going there.

Purchasing the horse is the least expensive part. I have not and will
not discuss the cost to train rider and horse. I will leave that for
another thread.

Hope this helps,

Larry Raskin
Communications Officer - TROT Search and Rescue
Corporal of the Guide - Company C, 5th U.S. Cavalry Memorial Regiment,
Company H, 1st U.S. Dragoons.
National Park Service Volunteer in the Park Program (now you know why
the McClellan)