msar-riders - [MSAR] Texas Equusearch Katrina Horse Rescue Activity

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jeff Ezell" <eztech@pdq.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Texas Equusearch Katrina Horse Rescue Activity
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 10:14:00 -0500

Texas Equusearch has been deployed with multi-tasking resources helping the
Plaquemines Parish SO in an area receiving little help. We were requested by
PPSO once they got a phone line to call out and cleared by LA State Police
to travel into the area. After the initial efforts all searchers were asked
to stay out of the water until the toxic tests are returned.

Until clearance is received from PPSO to continue searching for survivors
and victims www.TexasEquusearch.org has been rescuing horses in the area and
transporting them north to the Baton Rouge area. Along with the two
www.visionsticks.com (used in Aruba) and satellite phone resources, Tim
Miller flew over yesterday in a Texas Equusearch helicopter resource with
some last minute special requested cargo...halters, lead ropes & equine
meds.

Tim had to return to civilization to speak at a National Woman's Legislators
meeting in AZ, but the Texas Equusearch chopper stayed to do recon and
rescue in the surrounding areas hoping to find some signs of life. It
appears little help has been made available in this area.

At least a few horses got lucky and will live to serve man another day. It
would be interesting to know if any of these horses suffer illness from
drinking the water, which we all know they have been drinking. Maybe they
have a natural resistance to the (Cholera-like bacteria) Vibrio vulnificus
detected that has a 40% death rate for humans contracting it. Wouldn't be
the first time horse's immune system saved humans. OK, I'm not a med person,
just thinking...

Thought you might like to know a few horses are being rescued even though it
wasn't the primary mission...Jeff