msar-riders - [MSAR] Horsemanship and such / Mounted SAR to include ATV?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Horsemanship and such / Mounted SAR to include ATV?
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:12:27 -0700

Irv has provided great examples why it is so important for MSAR to have mounts who are desensitized to things like people running, riding bikes, motorcycles, etc., and riders with good horsemanship skills. It also reinforces the need for joint training with other disciplines.

I disagree with the rider's assessment that the jogger was at fault. Good horsemen don't assume the non-horsemen understand possible hazards related to their actions around horses. ;-/

I suspect SAR teams that include several disciplines (ground, mounted, ATV, dogs, etc.) tend to have fewer problems with their MSAR mounts in the field simply because the horse and rider are better prepared to address the possible horse-eating monster.

-Jorene

----- Original Message ----- From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>

Its not just bikes-- we had an incident this weekend where a jogger/runner
came up from behind a group of tail riders working on a map problem and got
a rider dumped. The mounted responder who reported the incident blamed it on
the jogger's lack of common sense when approaching 4-8 horses and riders
stopped on the trail. Of the three incidents that day at least two resulted
from interaction between non-riders and riders. And it was hostile
non-riders in both cases.

If you can't train together you can't work together. Very few areas let
wheeled vehicles and horse commingle, particularly off trail.