market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Ginger

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Ginger
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 20:55:01 -0400

We sprout in February.  We plant in mid-March.  Figure enough rhizomes to properly plant a 96x22 high tunnel.  I allow them to set in open air and seal and then place in a 5 gallon bucket.  Dense layer with a 2” void in the bottom so none are sitting feet wet.  All buckets are on heat mats indoors.  Then I water heavily and place plastic over the bucket so the condensation collects and drips back down.  Once sprouted I wait till we have several days of warm weather and then plant.  They will survive cold snaps even if the greens die back.  So long as the soil temp doesn’t go below 50F everything seems to run OK.

I got so tired with sourcing expensive seed stock from long distances and getting shorted that I just buy organic food grade yellow ginger.  No difference in quality.  Haven’t seen diseases pop up yet.  Price is WAY cheaper as well.  This next year I think, assuming we can expand our gardens onto a new property, double up again with a low tunnel planting and open air production over summer.

Normally I grow them in a high tunnel, pull them white and pink, strong and fleshy.  The goal is to sell something they cannot do well outside the region and ship in.  Our price range has topped out at 20/lbs which is where it seems to sit well.

We rotate in two crops over mid-autumn to late winter.  We harvest and pull and let sit for a week then amend, till, and replant

We sell to a local brewery for a canned beer.  It is their winter seasonal.  We sell about 1/2 to them which allows us to get enough out to start planting early autumn normally.

One of our side projects is making vinegar.  That is getting close to entering production once our new facility is up and running.  On the side, for myself, I take left over ginger and candy it.  The left over simple syrup is amazing.  I give some to chefs for their pet projects and then the remainder I keep and make a simple wine out of and then acidify.

We have had olds ask us more about Turmeric.  We grew about 16 row feet three years ago and had trouble selling it.  Which I know sounds crazy, but we did.  The problem we had with Turmeric is how much time it needs to spend int he ground.  But the time we are harvesting ginger, turmeric is still another month or two out for a decent yield.  It starts bulking up LATE.

Fun stuff.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio