market-farming - [Market-farming] when to get interns or employees?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kathryn Kerby" <kakerby AT aol.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] when to get interns or employees?
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 11:50:29 -0700

Once again we’re weighing the decision on using interns and/or employees for the 2017 season.  I’m having a hard time figuring out whether it “pencils out” or not, because of all the variables.  On a philosophical facet, I really like the idea of training a new generation of interns, such that the training is their “pay”.  But I hate a lot of the practical realities of that arrangement – totally green people coming onto the property and needing to be held by the hand for at least the first month or so.  Then just as they become valuable, they leave.

Employees present other pro’s/con’s, namely the better I pay them, the better the quality of personnel I can attract and keep. Yet meeting payroll becomes a bigger obligations and challenge.

Are there rules of thumb for when to bring on either interns or employees, such that on one side of a threshold it doesn’t make sense, while on the other side of that threshold it does?  I’d appreciate any suggestions, advice, been-there-done-that sorts of wisdom.  Thanks.
Kathryn Kerby

Frogchorusfarm.com

Snohomish, WA

  • [Market-farming] when to get interns or employees?, Kathryn Kerby, 10/23/2016