market-farming - [Market-farming] On Social Media (Was Re: List)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] On Social Media (Was Re: List)
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 09:27:13 -0400

Yeah, super busy right now.  Initial super hot temps have given way to a cool wet lead up to June.  Should have cut hay three weeks ago, but who'd have thunk it go this way.

That said, we use Facebook A LOT.  My guess is that the more you rely on an urban customer base the more likely you are to use it.  It is a free tool that combined with Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter (there are programs that allow you to cross post on all four in single click of the button) beat the hell out of any custom software platform designed for us farmers (and usually cost money).

When I have free time, I can create a post, then schedule it.  The computers do all the rest.  So, while I am in the field baling hay or catching a swarm and our garden manager Kate is working her ass off in the harden getting ready for market in an hour, the public suddenly gets an update on market offerings or progress on our new barn.

I try to stay off any sort of social media as much as possible to avoid a "time suck," but I would never discount the value of it for our business.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855