market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Espom salts on melons?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shoemaker, William H" <wshoemak AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Espom salts on melons?
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 00:19:58 +0000

Many melons are grown in sand, which may be low in Mg. Mg plays a role in photosynthesis, so may influence the production of sugars. Soil tests usually tell you if Mg is low or adequate. If adequate, Epsom salts might help, might not. I see it as optional unless you are truly low in Mg. If you make plenty of compost and use it in your melon plots, you probably have enough Mg. Using Epsom salts shouldn't hurt anything. If your soils has a dolomite lime bedrock base, you probably have high levels of Mg.

Bill

William H. Shoemaker

Retired fruit and vegetable horticulturist

University of Illinois

wshoemak AT illinois.edu