market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Oat Straw vs. Wheat Straw to mulch strawberries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: grizzdover AT gmail.com
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Oat Straw vs. Wheat Straw to mulch strawberries
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 11:56:28 -0500

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM, <grizzdover AT gmail.com> wrote:
Hello All,

With this "entertaining" growing season it has been hard for me to find a source for Oat straw to mulch my strawberries and garlic.  I have been able to find a source of wheat straw, but have no personal experience using it and have "heard" that it compacts down too much (thus smothering the overwintering strawberry plants).  Anyone have experience using wheat straw as a mulch on strawberries (or any overwintered crop for that matter)?  I can get enough oat straw to cover about a third of my strawberry crop and could do the rest in wheat, but after losing all my CSA's strawberries this season to early frosts, not sure if I want to experiment : ).

Have a great weekend,

Ben Saunders
Turtle Farm
Certified Organic Fruits, Veggies and Herbs
Granger, Iowa
www.turtle-farm.com