market-farming - [Market-farming] Crop rotation & triple cropping

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Crop rotation & triple cropping
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 10:21:49 -0500

So, I'm trying to wrap my head around a new crop rotation plan that includes
double & triple cropping some beds during the year. This is an open field
growing area, but will also apply to a high tunnel we're putting up this
year. The beds are in permanent locations but are tractor cultivated. Those
of you that are double & triple cropping, how are planning your rotations? Do
you for instance ever do this:

bean -> bean -> something else?

Or are you always moving crop families within your triple or double cropping?

I've looked at the various literature about crop rotations and there seems to
be as many opinions & options as there are people in the world. We grow a
diverse number of vegetables & flowers, so it seems like this is always going
to be complicated. Am I wrong? Any pointers?

Kim
Barking Cat Farm
NE Texas