market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Crop rotation & triple cropping

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pech <pech9 AT rocketmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Crop rotation & triple cropping
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 09:56:28 -0700 (PDT)

My beds are cropped 1 -4 times a year depending on the crop....I try to never plant the same family in the same bed during the season, My thinking is the same crop is looking for the  same nutrients in the soil, where if I switch em up crop "a" may want more P and crop "b" may want less P but more K which is available (  I hope that makes sense). In my mind it also helps with pest control, even though it may only be a couple feet away it might be miles to the right pest.  I also try to alternate light and heavy  feeders, so lettuce may be followed by spinach or carrots then back to lettuce or a summer squash. At the end of the season I make sure I know what each bed finished with so I can rotate the next year. I do use a cover crop sometimes, usually buckwheat, then I start that bed from scratch, meaning I don't care what I put in it first...

This year I've been doing multiple crops in a bed....like Broccoli with a line of radish up the middle or cabbages with onions in the center....So far I like the results

Have Fun
Dave, Goshen KY