market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] wasps

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] wasps
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 14:35:19 -0400 (EDT)

Now that's a neat trick.  Thanks for sharing.  Might not help with our truck issue this year, but we also have lots of wasp nests under our eaves.  That would solve that particular problem very nicely.

I did run into an interesting folk legend regarding wasps a few years ago.  Apparently in some parts of the world, it's considered good luck to have wasps build a nest over a doorway, like the house door or barn door.  Something about wasps know to build their nests in peaceful places, where there are only good intentions coming and going below them, and they'd keep harm from coming inside.  Somehow that stuck with me.  Just wish I could figure out a way to sweet-talk the hornets out of the truck.  I need a "hornet whisperer".
Kathryn Kerby, who talks to bees but not hornets
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html