market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] First market tips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] First market tips
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 09:54:43 -0400

Beth and John,
Thanks for first market tips, many returning and new customers yesterday.  Struggle for me is when I converse for more than the purchase alone, a line can form, and by their body language some customers behind want the quick purchase.  When I can bring a child along, they usually staff the "express lane".

Am trying to have more self-serve items ($1 bunches or pre-bagged greens).  Then customers can grab what they want, total their purchase and hand me exact change while I talk with others.

The idea of some customers "wanting to buy a relationship" interesting.  Really listening and responding from 7-noon can be tough, especially when short on sleep and energy due previous day's picking and packing.

Where do Email lists, Facebook pages and/or farm websites, other? fit into this customer relationship building/maintenance?

Hoping your markets start well,
Richard Moyer
SW VA