market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] First market tips?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] First market tips?
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 10:23:36 -0400

The advice depends on your personality and what you’ve done in the past.  Certainly, having as much on display as possible helps.  I am very “retiring”, and don’t make conversation easily.  In fact, when people ask the basic conversation starters to me, I feed defensive and as if they are prying into my private life. BUT, I am the 1% personality who feels that way.  For me, the challenge is to ask them if they had a good winter, and follow up from their answers – where did they go if they went elsewhere, health if they mention it or I know it was an issue, kids, etc.  I am realizing that many folks are not buying meat or veggies, they are buying the relationship, and the other vendors who are outgoing and conversant get the business because of it.  My display can be as good or better, my prices as good or better, but they like buying from the folks who talk with them (and I feel like I’m being nosy when I ask the basic questions).  I am working on it and getting better at it.  Have to.

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead, Peru NY

http://rhomestead.com      http://www.facebook.com/rhomestead

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe