market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] farm accounting software

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "stonecirclefarm tds.net" <stonecirclefarm AT tds.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] farm accounting software
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 16:29:52 -0500

I have found Quickbooks easy to use and many in my area use it as well.  I supplement it with spreadsheets for planning and other types of recordkeeping and reporting.  One thing I am doing this year is utilizing a Google docs spreadsheet "form" so that I and my one employee can track labor hours by crop.  Not sure how I'll account for my two sons' time (their hours are erratic and not always very productive!).  We will be completing the "form" daily and it automatically populates a spreadsheet.  We will then use a spreadsheet tool from the University of Wisconsin called Veggie Compass to analyze profitability of each crop.  In the interest of full disclosure, I am part of a team at UW working to build and hone the Veggie Compass spreadsheet tool.  It is a free.  Download the current version here:

Veggie Compass

As improvements and changes are made to VeggieCompass, newer versions will be posted.  Our team welcomes input and feedback.

-John