market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] farm accounting software

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Aaron Brower'" <aaronbrower AT yahoo.com>, "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] farm accounting software
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 09:38:52 -0400

It depends on how careful and detailed your records are.  We get checks for mixed items – vegetables and chicken and I don’t have a way to keep it separate at market.  Also,, my DH tends to buy things and not give me receipts or note on receipts what it is for.  So, in my opinion, using QuickBooks would be “garbage in – garbage out” and frutstrating because of its entry methods.  I am very happy with Quicken.  I separate items out by categories when I can, make split transactions with different categories when I have the info, use tags (feed/broilers, feed/layers) when I have the info, and just use “farm income” when I can’t separate it out.  Expenses can always go into supplies or repair if I’m not sure. Quicken is easy and matches our level of detail.

For enterprise analysis, I fall back on harvest records – logs of eggs packed, broiler weights harvested, and the rest is veggies.  I’d love to have a good track of veggies sold at market and going through the CSA, but don’t yet.  Some folks find keeping a paper notebook easy, a little memo pad easy, a market log easy, but for me the paper gets smudged/the pen or pencil won’t write, and going and coming from market I don’t end up taking the time I should.  We just got a reefer truck so I can pack the truck the night before market, and I am really really really hoping to get a “permanently” covered wash area where I can keep writing materials at hand and dry this year.  Spreadsheets work well for the enterprise analysis.

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead, Peru NY

http://rhomestead.com      http://www.facebook.com/rhomestead

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe