market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Chisel plows

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Two Onion Farm <farmer AT twoonionfarm.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Chisel plows
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 07:04:37 -0500

It's not exactly a chisel plow, but in this area you can find old Ferguson spring-tine tillers.  We got ours for one or two hundred dollars.

See here for a parts manual for sale on Amazon which has a picture of one: http://www.amazon.com/Massey-Ferguson-Spring-Tiller-Manual/dp/B006ZFA41O.  Model numbers would be Massey Ferguson 138 Spring Tine tiller, Massey Harris 138 tiller, or Ferguson BO-20 tiller.  These are three point implements with nine spring loaded shanks and two toolbars about 7' wide.  You can easily remove and/or reposition the shanks with bolts and nuts.  To get down to 4' wide you would have to cut the two toolbars down to size but there would be no harm in doing that I believe.  We run ours with 5 shanks on a 37 pto hp tractor and it will rip till up to 10" deep or even a litte deeper and its action is very similar to a chisel plow.

Chris

Chris & Juli McGuire
Two Onion Farm
www.twoonionfarm.com