market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] For those who have built tunnels using Johnny'shoops bender

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Todd Lister <toddlister1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] For those who have built tunnels using Johnny'shoops bender
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:35:21 -0500

This past fall I took a 24x 48 gothic with short straight sides and bought 4' extensions for the ground posts. This pushed the house way up. I love it.  For added stability I put a 45 degree brace pipe at one end of each side on the straight wall. Hammered the ends flat and bolted it to the top of straight wall at gable and at ground level of third post in. soled as a rock. I did just what Bill has suggested. Band board at the top of straight wall, wiggle wire the plastic there, pipe and hand crank at bottom of apron plastic. Used the same idea on a small house.
I would not go 6' centers though.  I do have a 24 x 48 round hoop made of 1.9" pipe that I set at 5' 6" on center but I put a large cedar tree post at 1/3 and 2/3 down the middle coped under the center purlin. I am in Georgia though and we rarely get measurable snow. We have had at just one  6" snow fall each of the last 3 years and the house is solid. I don't think the plastic would do well at 6' OC.

Todd Lister
Veribest Farm
Vesta Ga