market-farming - [Market-farming] For those who have built tunnels using Johnny's hoops bender

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne AT lejardinduvillage.ca>
  • To: market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] For those who have built tunnels using Johnny's hoops bender
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 12:37:49 -0500

Hello everyone,

I bought Johnny's "Quick Hoops" high tunnel bender. Their instruction manual is really good, and I like their design. I am planning on building two 100' tunnels this spring. I have two questions for those who have built similar tunnels.

First, Johnny's tunnel are 7' high in the middle, which I find is a little low for trellised crop. I would prefer something closer to 10' high. I am thinking that, instead of cutting the 6' post in half, I would use the full 6' length of the post, leaving 4' sticking out of the ground (instead of 1'). I This would make a kind of straight "side wall" 4' high, on which the bows would rest. This would obviously cost twice as much in post, but I think it is a fair trade off. Have someone done something similar, and if yes, is the structure sound?

Secondly, how wide have you set the bows? The example in the manual as a bow every 4'. I am planning on using three purlins (one in the center, and two to attach the trellises to), so I am thinking the structure will be quite solid indeed. I am thinking of having one every 6' instead. Would that be enough? My only worry is water accumulating on the plastic above the purlins.

Beside, what was your experience? Any tips to share?

Thanks!

--
Etienne Goyer - Le Jardin du Village
http://lejardinduvillage.wordpress.com