market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomato Spacing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Don Lareau <dlareau AT tds.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomato Spacing
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 07:17:14 -0700

We have always done tomatoes with two rows in a 40" bed staggered. In part because of how our irrigation is set up, and in part to try and maximize our field. It seems like if we do only one row of tomatoes in a bed that we might actually get more yield. Certainly the harvesting and trellising would be easier. Does anyone have an opinion on this or experience of yields and spacing of tomatoes. We mostly grow indeterminates, romas, and cherries, and use a hybrid florida weave type trellising.

Then I have the same question but for a hightunnel where we really are trying to maximize space. IS it any different in a tunnel?

Thanks,
Don

Don Lareau
Zephyros Farm and Garden