market-farming - [Market-farming] marketing dry beans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: mamica5 AT sssnet.com
  • To: Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] marketing dry beans
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 09:02:15 -0500 (EST)

Hi all?
Does anyone grow dry beans for sale...by dry beans...I mean black turtle
beans, chile beans, black-eyed peas? I've grown them for myself and am
considering growing more for sale at a local farmers market that is a year
round market. I was thinking they might boost my bottom line in Dec-Mar.
However..our manager hesitated to take the few extra lbs I had this
year..so I am not sure I want to order more seed. We were both
uncertain about food safety regulations concerning them and whatever
else restrictions might be out there. I couldn't find much on the net.
I am located in Ohio and she was uncertain about the "dry'
aspect...although they mature on the plant and are harvested dry.
Thanks!