market-farming - [Market-farming] Alabama immigration law effects on tomato farmers?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Thamnophis <thamnophis AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Alabama immigration law effects on tomato farmers?
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 18:27:19 -0500

I'm interested in experiences of any vegetable farmers in Alabama after the passage of the new immigration law. If found legal, I assume there will be movements to pass similar legislation in other states.

From Huffington Post:

"On Chandler Mountain in north Alabama, tomato farmer Lana Boatwright said only eight of the 48 Hispanic workers she needed for harvest showed up after the law took effect. Those who did were frightened.

"My husband and I take them to the grocery store at night and shop for them because they are afraid they will be arrested," she said.

Farmer Chad Smith said his family farm stands to lose up to $150,000 because there are not enough workers to pick tomatoes spoiling in the fields.

"We will be lucky to be in business next year," he said."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/06/alabama-workers-immigration-law_n_997793.html

Joe

  • [Market-farming] Alabama immigration law effects on tomato farmers?, Thamnophis, 10/06/2011