market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tropical organic farm land for sale

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm <karen AT rootsfarm.info>
  • To: Roots Farm <karen AT rootsfarm.info>
  • Cc: Market Farming Community Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Western Massachusetts Permaculture Guild <westernmapermacultureguild AT lists.thepine.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tropical organic farm land for sale
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 09:21:44 -0400

Sending again, without the attached pictures.  Apologies if you receive 2 copies.  K
Roots Farm Organic Produce
Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs
Cochrane, DOMINICA
767-449-3038 (before 7 P.M.)

On Oct 9, 2011, at 4:44 PM, Roots Farm wrote:

I will be selling some glorious land, mostly rainforested, in Dominica just above our organic farm.  I do not want to open this rainforested area up for development (i.e., for off-grid living so as not to extend utilities to the area) or introduce contaminants (including chemicals or loud music)  into what is a peaceful, pristine area with incredible sweet clean air so am looking for a very eco-conscious buyer(s).  I'll be listing it with a real estate broker soon, but am hoping to have a better chance of protecting the area, eliminating broker fees, and having like-minded neighbors by letting you all know first.

There are a total of 8 acres in this parcel, but I'll want to keep a couple as a buffer for our farm, as well as have a deeded right-of-way from main road and rights to the river.   I can sell as little as 2 acres or as many as 6, give or take a little.  (For northerners: 2 acres in the tropics is a large amount both for production and to care for as grass grows amazingly fast here ...year round... and the slope of the land makes mechanical cultivation difficult.   Our experience is proper care for gardens including lots of vegetables (i.e., not just less demanding trees or "provision" root crops) probably requires 1.5 people per acre.  It also should supply a family of 4-6 with most of their food, with surplus for market.)

approx. 530-630 meters (+/- 1750-2050')  above sea level
bordered by "main" road (which continues on through rainforest to major waterfall, Middleham Falls), farm road, a river, and our organic farm with buffer land to be kept in forest
located above Cochrane, an eco-village, nestled next to World Heritage site Morne Trois Pitons national park
mostly gently sloping, western exposure (sunsets!)
beautiful views of mountains & Caribbean
lovely mineral rich, young volcanic, friable soil
solar, wind and water power possibilities
plentiful, but not oppressive, rainfall
wonderful healthy climate, cool nights, warm days.  Temperature range approx 65-85 degrees F.
few mosquitoes, no poisonous snakes, little violent crime on the island -- safe
no income taxes for farmers, small-farm friendly country (45% of labor force in ag).  Dominica has a 10 year Gov't. Plan to become an Organic Island by 2015 with economy based on organic ag, eco-tourism and health tourism
less than 25 minutes drive to Capitol city, Roseau
about 15 minutes to so-so beach,  30 to really nice beach, 45 to good-v.good snorkeling

I am asking, as a pre-realtor price, approx. $35,000 USD per acre, depending on total size and location of acreage of interest.

Pictures are taken on our farm just below the parcel for sale.  Views are better as one goes higher.

Serious inquiries welcome.

Best wishes,

Karen

Roots Farm Organic Produce
Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs
Cochrane, DOMINICA
767-449-3038 (before 7 P.M.)

  • Re: [Market-farming] Tropical organic farm land for sale, Roots Farm, 10/10/2011