market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Ginger

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Ginger
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 13:39:35 -0400

How much yield did you get from the 50 gallon container?

On Oct 6, 2011, at 11:37 AM, Owsley lucy wrote:

I use rhizomes i got from the grocery 2 years ago and got ginger that looked like Alison's. Granted I grew these in a container (a 50 gallon plastic horse trough) so if there was any risk of soil born disease passing to my soils I would not know it (but i figure few tropical diseases would last in my soils due to different chemistries and the fact we have winter).

I also will say i had no clue what I was doing when I planted the rhizomes in the horse trough, I believe, in May. It was a wet but not terribly hot summer and other than being in a container the ginger got no other protection-it was not in a hoophouse. We allowed to to go through several 40 degree nights before it was harvested which I have read is the wrong thing to do. But than what I read after the fact shows that I did a lot of thing wrong, in fact I probably did more things wrong than right and I still got a salable crop (which I undercharged horribly for-IIRC I got about $8 a pound at the farmers market, though most went to my CSA members).

My conclusion is that ginger is a very forgiving crop and we all should be growing it.