market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Ginger

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lova Andriamanjay" <lova.andriamanjay AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Ginger
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 10:31:34 -0400

For guys who have grown ginger, do you think using grocery store rhizomes would work as well as starts bought specifically for this purpose?

Thanks!

Lova Andriamanjay

Le 5 oct. 2011 10:32, Wiediger, Alison <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us> a écrit :

Pam,

The ginger was in crates in our cool greenhouse – we keep it high 40’s to low 50’s at night – starting in March.  It took either five or six bulb crates for 30 pounds. It took an AGE to come up.  It didn’t really start growing until mid to late April when the days got really warm, and then it grew fast!  It should have been transplanted about the 3rd week in May to the first of June, but we just didn’t get it done.  If we had, it would be bigger now, or we could have started selling it sooner.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm