market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] A Farmer's Opinion on NRCS and why its a poor pro gram...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Thamnophis <thamnophis AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] A Farmer's Opinion on NRCS and why its a poor pro gram...
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 22:43:34 -0500

Rivka - I was told they could not divulge the specifics of who
received the grant money. but I'm pretty sure they could provide
general info - state and county funding.

Truth is this program is a tiny drop in the bucket of tax-payer
supported investments. And it may have a very big and very positive
return on investment.

If you have ever spent time in countries that do not tax and then
reinvest in their communities you know how valuable our system of
government supported activities are.

Iowa used to lead the nation in all sorts of vegetable and fruit
production - apples, grapes, melons and many more. In the last 50
years we have become a wasteland of GMO corn and soybeans grown on
5000 acre farms by corporations rather than family farmers.

This is a good program that is looking at the viability of redirecting
a tiny bit of federal funds to resurrecting the true family farm and
the healthy, local produce they can generate.

As I said before, all federal programs have to be judges on their
results. We may be doubtful of the results based on our local
situation, but unless you have access to the total body of data, your
assumptions are based on incomplete data and therefore flawed.

Reminds me of poor Rick Perry who spent the last couple weeks
denouncing climate science only have to return to his burning state.
And now, instead of denouncing federal tax payer supported programs,
he has to beg for them.

All federal programs suck, when we are not the recipient.

Joe
Boone County, IA