market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] A Farmer's Opinion on NRCS and why its a poor program...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] A Farmer's Opinion on NRCS and why its a poor program...
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 08:34:23 -0400

Do not misunderstand my opinion on the matter.  I think if applied even handedly, logically, and all inclusive like the commodity crop FSA money it would have a MASSIVE impact.  Sadly though its easier for me to get NRCS money by putting together a pile of animal waste than it is to get our first hoop house, which means the program is only working for a few and that corn and beans and wheat are going to be the crops that get the money (even when the market value of such crops has exploded).

I am simply relating my own personal experience.

Maybe the way to go is to improperly store our horse manure, demand NRCS money to avoid runoff exposure, get it under cover on a concrete pad, spend more tax payer's money on "official" cover crops, and maybe get a couple more dollars for glyphosate to control roadside honeysuckle.  THEN we should apply.

That is the sarcastic farmer in me talking.  :)

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855