market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] NRCS hoophouse program

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] NRCS hoophouse program
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 21:41:16 -0400

Here is my experience:
Our NRCS folks did info sessions at local ag conferences, explaining funding opportunities, including the hoophouse program.  They said that those transitioning to organic had a greater advantage for accessing the limited funds.  There were 63 funded in VA last year, two in our county.  Us and a fellow grower, both full time market farmers who had no greenhouse or hoophouse before.

Info on this and the hightunnels listserv help us choose for our wind and snowload.  Coming in the second year on our own farm, the hoophouse has been a blessing.  We were ready in spades for our opening market day in mid-April (thanks Wiedigers), selling more on that day than any other in the past five years.   I realized this year that local and state sales tax on veggie and seed crops grown therein will, in time, equal the amount of matching funds received to build the hoophouse.

Our NRCS staff have been most gracious in explaining what they know, what they don't and then getting back to us.  They understand why folks not funded could be frustrated, and have explained the point system fully.  They did so when we were not funded on another program.  And in Virginia, only one funded hoophouse per farm.

In summary, our NRCS staff, both locally and regionally, have been fair in explaining what they know of new programs and funding, and have not hid the fact that I learned some things before they did.  Despite 6 inches of rain and more coming down, I'll be picking and selling at market tomorrow, thanks to this program.  Our local NRCS staff have wondered aloud if the hoophouse program may, among programs they administer, have the best return to farmers for dollars invested.

Richard Moyer
SW VA