market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] 1. Re: Gas tractors vs diesels

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Aaron Brower <aaronbrower AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] 1. Re: Gas tractors vs diesels
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 05:56:48 -0700 (PDT)

We use the allis chalmer g for cultivating. We have 3 and love them.
Implements are still made for them or can be self manufactured. I find the basket weeder and finger weeder to be most useful.
Regarding raised beds, we have 3 inch raised beds, which is very low but necessary for the same reason mentioned earlier. Gs have low clearance with implements attached.

Considering the question of gas vs diesel, I am very grateful that the Gs are gas because I find them easier to work on and parts easy to find and adaptable. They are a cultivating tractor and thus need little power. I have never had them in a situation where I wished they had more power, though at times I wished they creeped along a bit slower. Also, as cultivating tractors, they do not get worked very hard and break down infrequently. Whereas our primary newer deisel tractors break down all them time but that is because they are worked very hard.
If one is looking for an all purpose tractor - for tillage, cultivation, front end loader and hauling stuff around, then the Gs or IHs are not really what you are looking for, but for cultivating purposes they are superb.