market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] How bad are those farmalls

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] How bad are those farmalls
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 21:12:04 -0400

Rivka said:

I run two gas-fueled Oliver 550's that date to somewhere in the
mid-50's. They are usually parked (in an unheated but closed barn)
most of the winter with no particular winterization done, and as long
as the batteries are good they will reliably start up again whether
it's midwinter or next spring.

They will keep going as long as the old-tractor mechanic down the road
keeps going. After that, I'm not sure. They have needed some repairs,
from time to time; but I don't know what wouldn't, over 50+ years.

Old diesels were unreliable in the winter up here, as they wouldn't
start in cold weather; but newer diesels, I believe, don't have that
problem. I don't know how new they have to be.

That was something I was going to point out. Deisels in our area are
notorious for not starting in cold weather. How cold? We have some below
zero days here but deisels get balky above zero and below freezing
around here. On the coldest days even the block heaters don't seem to
help. In more moderate southern latitudes I suspect the higher operating
costs would be the only down side to a deisel tractor.

Th International Farmalls have already been well spoken for and that
would be my vote. Unreliable? Huh?

regards,

Bill