market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Gas tractors vs diesels

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mark Weinheimer <mrw601 AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Gas tractors vs diesels
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 12:53:39 -0400

I have 2 newer diesels and a collection of old farmalls.  I love the newer diesels for their reliability, power, strong hydraulics and lower fuel consumption, but parts and repairs are far more expensive.  The diesels have power steering, a must for loader use and a blessing for an arthritic old farmer.  The farmall Super A and super C are wonderful cultivating tractors.  I think the wide front C is probably the most versatile 2 row cultivating tractor ever made.  It is also a pretty fair tractor for light primary tillage if your implements are sized right.  I have fabricated 3point hitch adapters for the A the C and a super H.  They work ok with light implements.  They do require a bit more routine maintenance than the diesels, but they are easy to work on and parts are readily available and far less costly than those for the newer tractors.  Because we have gone to a raised bed system, we don't use the farmalls for cultivating any more and I really miss the visibility and the ease of operation and adjustment that they had.
If you are handy and good at repairs and maintenance they can be a great, moderate cost option.
--
Mark Weinheimer
Farm Manager