market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Red potato storage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Vern and Amy <vaspencer AT sisna.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Red potato storage
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 05:32:54 -0700

We are contemplating a new cellar (if we can find some money and time!) Our potatoes have been in the otherwise unused basement for 8 months now, and look great (with some large sprouts because I told Dad to lay off keeping them cold with cold night air a couple weeks back). We try to dry them off for a couple weeks with box fans blowing across the stacks of potato sacks. Then we try to keep them between 35 and 40 degrees with the doors and windows. This would not work in the summer here. It gets down to 40 often, but that will not cool the basement to that temp. A refrigerated cooler would keep them cold enough, but the humidity might not be high enough.

Good idea on the light bulbs. I have been considering what to do about that.

Vern