market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Red potato storage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Red potato storage
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 14:22:45 -0500

Hi Willie,

We're not expert potato growers, but we have successful stored plenty of
potatoes here in NE TX for several months at a time for several seasons. All
we do is put them in lily crates (sounds similar to what you describe), stack
them (making sure the potatoes are not stacked so high in each crate that the
bottom of the crate on top sits on any potatoes beneath it), and store them
in a dark germination shed that's kept in the 78-82 degree F range. As long
as there are no rotten potatoes in the crates to start with, they seem to
keep just fine. We've probably not stored them for 6 months, though. For
that long, you might need it a little cooler.

Laurie
Barking Cat Farm