market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Old drip tape--why does some last longer?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Old drip tape--why does some last longer?
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 13:21:46 GMT

We've tried every type of drip tape available. Ours never lasts more than one
season.
I've watched coyotes grab the ends and chew it and shake it until it's ripped
to shreds. Add in all the other critters that chew it up trying to get to
water and it's a hopeless battle. It doesn't matter if it's 6 mil, or 15 the
critters chew it up. We've tried burying it, as well as on top of the ground.
It doesn't matter. They will dig it up.
We also have EXTREME fluctuations in our water pressure. We're on rural
water, and while the water district is, working to improve our water
pressure/volume of water which we really appreciate, in any given day I can
run the same amount I did the day before, and not have enough water pressure.
Or, too much.
This weekend, the district had two pumps go out. So, very little water
pressure. Today, we are back to normal.
So, we use the cheapest 6 mil drip we can buy. 10,000 ft./roll vs. 7500.
Other than buying equipment, drip tape is probably this farm's biggest
expense.
Carla
Perkins, OK Hot and Dry.

Banks Forced to Forgive Credit Card Debt
Find Out How Much of Your Debt Can Be Erased.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4decd4a0917ac360529st01duc