market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Old Drip Tape

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Old Drip Tape
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 10:27:42 -0400

On Jun 5, 2011, at 8:07 AM, Vern and Amy wrote:

Rivka, how do you make the electrical tape stick? Do you just put a
short piece on like a Bandaid?

No, it actually takes quite a bit of it. Starting a few inches to one side of the leak, wrap the tape in a spiral fashion, overlapping it on each wrap, tight around the drip tape (with the pressure on) till you're few inches to the other side of the leak; then wrap back over the same area a second pass. This is considerably faster than cutting the line and putting a splice in. It only works for what I call pinhole leaks; for any large cut or slash you need the splice. It also probably won't stop the leak entirely, but should get it down to about the amount that an emitter hole puts out.

I think I'm going to toss out a lot of old tape this year, and start over with new; and try to keep better track of what condition it's in when it gets picked up again, and toss out anything with a lot of holes in it. Spent way too much time last year trying to patch some tape that had too many holes.