market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] boron-was lime powder application

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mike Rock <mikerock AT mhtc.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] boron-was lime powder application
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 00:54:38 -0500

If you talk to the guys at MidWest BioAg, or Gary Zimmer at Otter Creek Farm near Lone Rock, WI, you can get the whole skinny on boron and calcium as well as their relationship to soils and other elements.

www.midwesternbioag.com/
www.ottercreekorganicfarm.com
www.acresusa.com

Check Acres USA book sales list too.
Get a copy of The Albrecht Papers, by Prof. William Albrecht, premier soil scientist of the 20th Century organic movement.

Also see the four publications authored by Newman Turner on organic foundation farming.

Mike

Vern and Amy wrote:
Thank you everybody for your input on lime. I have talked to farmers near me and 40 miles away. It looks like I may find what I need there. Will still need to study more on cation exchange, mineral balances, etc.

Someone mentioned Boron. My soil test said I was deficient and my extension agent said I needed 3 pounds per acre. I located a 50# bag of Solubor and used just a few pounds diluted in the sprayer on the 4-wheeler. I don't think I got toxicity, but was careful not to go over the recommendation. I will probably recheck soil Boron this year.

Vern