market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] high pH was (lime powder application)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rob Wallbridge" <rob AT songberry.ca>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] high pH was (lime powder application)
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 15:46:46 -0400

Hi Jay,

Very interesting. I’m in the opposite situation in most respects, since a lot of my land was only cut for hay, without much returned to the soil.

One suggestion I would make, though, would be doing some plant tissue analyses – this will tell you exactly which nutrients in your soil your plants are able to utilize. You may be applying fertilizer needlessly, or compounding an existing imbalance, by applying more N, P, and K. High levels of P and K will tie up other minerals, depending on the ratios and your pH. Building organic matter and stimulating microbial activity in your soil will help lower your pH, too.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob Wallbridge

Songberry Organic Farm