market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] high pH was (lime powder application)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer AT outlands.ca>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] high pH was (lime powder application)
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 14:16:30 -0400

Yep, I am in the same situation. High pH (6.8 to 7.4), high Ca, low Mg,
very high K and average P. I am going to be farming this land for the
first time this year. It has been a pasture for 50 years, and then
farmed conventionally (small grains) for the past five.

I somewhat wary of Mg deficiency, and I will be on lookout for that.
Since Mg is usually added using dolomitic lime, and the last thing my
soil (appears) to need is more Ca, I am wondering what I will be using
for adding Mg if it turns out to be the case. But we will see,
hopefully it will not be a problem at all, so I am not sweating it just yet.