market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] high Tunnels/snow removal

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] high Tunnels/snow removal
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 08:17:24 -0700 (PDT)

I am a like Vern, I have 5 homemade metal or  PVC and metal tunnel. On Sunday night we have 6 plus inches of wet, heavy snow.  It was more like a Slushy than snow.

I use 3,  2 by 4 beams in the winter and one in the summer.  The "beams" are just 16 foot 2 by 4 on edge. I bolt them to the top of the endwall framing and then bolt a 2 by 4 post at the end. Then I bolt the next  beam on. Since my tunnels are 42-45 feet long, I only have two posts per beam in addition to the endwall support. This is all bolted together and with help can go up in 30 minutes or less.  When I am not using them, they get attached to the sidewall for storage.

They cost about $30, but that is cheap insurance!

I go out and always sweep snow. I know that my tunnels are not the strongest and they will not stand up to feet of snow, but they have had up to 14 inch drifts on top of them with out any problems. This was light fluffy snow.

I can not afford to replace them all at once if a disaster happened, So I just go out and make sure they are clear and then sit by the warm wood stove when I am finished.

Jay

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More
Clay Center, Kansas
www.jaysjellies.com