market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] pruning determinate tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MAsteveINE" <MAsteveINE AT 207me.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] pruning determinate tomatoes
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:09:49 -0500

Never came up with a good reason to take a determinate inside, but if i did
I would treat it the same as I would outdoors; and that is to provide just enough
support to keep the fruit from touching the ground. Only take out leaves and
suckers that would interfere with other fruits, picking or spraying.

At my GH indeterminates are trained to a single stem, I like a tomato clip for the first
attachment, them just wrap the string around the stem as it goes up. Remove all
suckers BUT keep 2 -3 on long enough so that if I break the growing point I
have a replacement. Branches are removed to about the height of ripening fruits.

A tomato can root from any portion of stem that touches the ground, but can only
branch from the leaf axiels; if all suckers and the growing point are removed
it is like it is mad as hell, the stems swell up, get dark green, rock hard,  and everything stops.

Has anyone here done anything with grafted tomatoes yet?

MAsteveINE

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

I grew Celebrity tomatoes in the greenhouse last year, and began pruning them as I would other tomatoes (arbason, early girl, etc.), however I got some very strange looking vines.  Mostly I got vines that went nuts at the top, producing tons of sprouts and leaves, and eventually lots of small fruit.  I also had a lot of vines which seemed to stop growing upward, and so they had very few fruit.   I realize that the determinates are a different beast than the indet. , but I've never seen a reference to pruning them dramatically differently.  How do you all prune your indeterminates?  It is also possible that these problems were more related to the extremely early and prolonged heat we had last season, and not as much the pruning.   Ideas or input?
Thanks,
Curtis

Curtis and Sarah Millsap