market-farming - [Market-farming] pruning determinate tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Curtis Millsap <cmillsap1 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] pruning determinate tomatoes
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 07:41:41 -0800 (PST)

I grew Celebrity tomatoes in the greenhouse last year, and began pruning them as I would other tomatoes (arbason, early girl, etc.), however I got some very strange looking vines.  Mostly I got vines that went nuts at the top, producing tons of sprouts and leaves, and eventually lots of small fruit.  I also had a lot of vines which seemed to stop growing upward, and so they had very few fruit.   I realize that the determinates are a different beast than the indet. , but I've never seen a reference to pruning them dramatically differently.  How do you all prune your indeterminates?  It is also possible that these problems were more related to the extremely early and prolonged heat we had last season, and not as much the pruning.   Ideas or input?
Thanks,
Curtis

Curtis and Sarah Millsap
Millsap Farm